Our Massachusetts State Flag comes in many sizes with both indoor and outdoor uses. All State flags in our US State flag collection, including this Massachusetts State Flag, are made to official State design specifications.
- Indoor or outdoor use
- Flag has strong canvas header and two solid brass grommets
- State flag artwork is printed on 200 denier UV treated nylon, single sided, read reverse on back
- Four rows of lock-stitching on the fly end of the flag
- Great flyability, even in a slight breeze
- Made in the USA!
- NYL-GLO Nylon
- Flannel Lined Pole Sleeve with Velcro Tabs
- Golden Yellow Rayon Fringe
- Not intended for outdoor use
The Flag of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts displays, on both sides, the state coat of arms centered on a white field. The shield depicts an Algonquian Native American with bow and arrow; the arrow is pointed downward, signifying peace. The arm itself is the Goliad symbol common in early Texan flags and signifying the philosophy that those represented would rather lose their right arm than live under tyranny. A white star with five points appears next to the figure's head, signifying Massachusetts' admission as the 6th US State. A blue ribbon surrounds the shield, bearing the state motto Ense Petit Placidam, Sub Libertate Quietem ("By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty") Above the shield is the state military crest: the bent arm of Myles Standish holding a broadsword aloft. The sword has its blade up, to remind that it was through the American Revolution that liberty was won.
The state flag was officially adopted in 1908, but had been used unofficially since the American Revolution of the ensign of theMassachusetts State Navy. In 1971 the earlier pine tree was replaced by the current design